Monday, August 27, 2007

A Well-Ordered Family

I read Benjamin Wadsworth, A Well-Ordered Family. It was about the duties of Husbands and Wives. While reading it I learned that they dealt with marriage kind of similar to the way that we deal with it today then there were a couple of things that really upset me. For example it was like the men treated their wives as property and not as their spouse someone that they should treat as equal. It's like they thought the wife should obey them and go by everything they said. It really surprised me that some of this is still going on today because there still are men who think that because you marry them you become their property and that you should do as you are told. I really don't agree with that. I do like how it stated that you should love your husband or wife no matter the circumstances. If you are beautiful, healthy and wealthy but your significant other isn't you should still live up to the vows that you made when you all joined as one. If I were to ever get married I would respect my husband but he would also have to respect me and it's not a 25/50 marriage it's a 50/50 marriage which means both of our thoughts and opinions matter. Also one doesn't over rule the other one because that's not what a marriage is about, you both should work together as a team and love each other. It also was stated that if the wife is disobedient it is up to the husband to discipline her which is such nonsense because the wife is just as grown as the husband. No man should put or attempt to put his hand on any woman in any kind of way. Another thing that I'm so glad isn't going on today is that your parents sometimes chose who their child was married to. I feel sorry for the ones who were matched up and forced to marry someone that they didn't really wanna be with. Really it was interesting to read about how it was then and now see how it is now.

1 comment:

carrie said...

Outstanding reflection. Details, details, details! I agree with everything you said. I especially like these statements you made:
"you both should work together as a team and love each other. It also was stated that if the wife is disobedient it is up to the husband to discipline her which is such nonsense because the wife is just as grown as the husband. No man should put or attempt to put his hand on any woman in any kind of way"
I am too glad that we live in a society where women are supposed to be treated as equals. The feminist movements of the lat 20th century really did a lot to help make the U.S. a better place for you and me.
There are a few grammar errors that we can fix so that you can get all the possible points that you deserve. As is you earned 28/30 points.
Keep it up Miaka. You have a great mind.